Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cloth Diaper Day 2

Day #2

Today we only went through 4 diapers... I'm not sure how that worked out to be... they are difficult to tell when it's time to change because the insert is so absorbent! We don't use them for naps so that is partly why we went through so few diapers.

My Husband actually changed and put on a new cloth diaper today! He didn't have too much to say about it, I think that is a good thing! If there was something difficult or weird about them I'm sure I'd hear him make a comment but it went smoothly! And he put them on just right, not too tight, not too loose. I think that has been one thing that is hard to know about these cloth diapers. With a disposable you mindlessly stretch and velcro the diaper without worry of them being too tight. But with the cloth you can get them too tight and the elastic can leave a red mark on baby. Which is no good and I assume can lead to future chaffing. Yet if they are too loose then they leak like the other day. I suppose that is where all-in-one "grow with me" diapers aren't as ideal as fitted cloth diapers? I'm still going to use them. I LOVE the idea of him wearing them til he's potty trained.
So here is what I'm doing with the dirty diapers for now. Basically just rolling them up and throwing them into the laundry room. That won't last long I bet, i heard they can get smelly. Haven't noticed yet. I have so few the smell isn't adding up. AND because i have so few, i launder them everyday. so i just throw them in. I like how the Heiny's roll up better than the Bum G's



See how much tighter the dirty Heiny's roll than the Bum G's? I think that helps with smell.



Below is a picture of how the Heiny's advertise the laundry tabs. Just attach the velcro to itself and it should stay that way while washing. Not true. A fellow mom told me today that she attaches the velcro as if her daughter is wearing them and throws it in the machine. I'll try that and hope for no diaper chains or stains.


Here is a picture of a few of the diapers and how i keep them ready for service. I pre-stuff the inserts and pre-line the diapers with the flushies so they are ready to go. no thinking required. I hope that was a help when my husband changed Keegan yesterday.
The flushies come in a roll like pictured and you just line the diaper with it and then toss that and the poo in the toilet when soiled. SO easy! and not so yucky as scrapping poo.


After wash i toss the inserts in the dryer and hang dry the outsides. When keegan wakes up for his night feed i go in the laundry room take the inserts out or the dryer (they are usually still a little wet) and hang them for the remainder of the night. I figure I'm up and awake might as well stroll over there and get the diapers ready for morning. takes two seconds.



Still haven't used the fuzzibunz. A friend in my Live and Learn class told me she LOVES them and is glad they are snap because her velcro is starting to ware on her others. Her baby is 7 months old and she has been using them from the beginning. Her baby is just as wiggly if not more than Keegs so I guess the snaps are doable. I'm trying them day #3, tell you more about it later.

I don't have much more to say. Still liking the cloth diapering. And still finding them not as much work as i thought. I am nervous every time i think he's going to poop though. I'm dreading the first "bad" poop. bleh.

1 comment:

  1. you are do cloth diapering in the middle of the night!? You are dedicated and crazy! :) Just kidding.. that is awesome and I love how you are hanging them. I need to do that.. it really keeps the diapers lasting longer and looking better.

    ReplyDelete