Sunday, November 15, 2009

Cloth Diapering?

There's a whole world out there that I was too overwhelmed with motherhood to even think about before now. It's called "Natural Parenting."
Who knew what I was putting on my babies bum was unnatural parenting? who are these people telling me how i parent is unnatural?
anyhow, i'm discovering an aspect of so-called "natural parenting" and it's called... DUN DUn duun.... cloth diapering.

Once I babysat for a family that did cloth diapering. I think I was around 11 and the baby had to have been just a couple months old. the mom was around the house doing errands or something, so when baby cried crazy she would come and help. I remember the first day when she showed me how to cloth diaper. I was freaked out by the saftey pins. and stink. and wetness. but was only 11 and so i didn't get stressed out. who gets stressed as a preteen? not me.
so when it came to having my own child and thinking about cloth diapering that memory is what came to mind. The thought if it made me a little stressed. "No thank you" thats what Brent and I both thought. Plus, Keegs is baby number one, there were enough new things to overcome i wasn't ready for the cloth diaper challenge. UNTIL now. He's nearly 8 months old and i am JUST NOW starting for feel more grounded in this mommy business. I've been doing some research and learning about this whole daunting cloth business. They have some great new cloth diapers out there now! ones that are basically as easy as disposible just but plus a laundry wash. Or at least that is what the ladies in my Mommy And Me class say, and all the advertisements, and the people on YouTube.com
so i've decided to try it out. i mean they are DARN CUTE. Cost effective. I love the idea of buying cloth diapers for Keegan that will last til he's potty trained AND use them for our next child+. I had no idea that according to a study done by the Women's Enviromental Network: "Disposable diapers are the third largest single consumer item in landfills, and represent about 4% of solid waste. In a house with a child in diapers, disposables make up 50% of household waste." Crazy. So here goes.

I took a leap and bought 6 different cloth diapers this week. All "Pocket Diapers" from what I have researched they are the most "family friendly" (ie. daddy and grandparent friendly) ones out there. supposedly they won't have as much of an odor problem which is nice for my smell sensative husband and curious Charlie-dog.

I'll be writing about the ins-and-outs for a bit i think. So sorry for those of you that might read this and not be interested. I figure i have no clue how many people actually peek at this blog so i might as well just write about it. AND since researching i've found that other mom-blogs have been the most helpful in finding information on cloth diapering so if i can be that resource for other curious moms then, great!

2 comments:

  1. Yes! Go you for being resourceful and testing out the market!! They also make flushable inserts for some too. Please keep the curious minded here updated on your results ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a little behind on reading your blog, but I do check it often, so keep going. I'll catch up on the cloth diapering. Here's my thought about those in the past too, but FYI. Carter goes through 3 boxes every 2 months now, which is about $60. (Pampers Baby Dry.) So that's $360 a year. I have heard the cloth diapers are a little expensive, and the washing and drying cost for water and electricity. (here in TX our electricity is soooo high in cost.) I would love to be more eco friendly, so let me read more about your thought. I also know that newborns are changed much more often, and I want more kids, one here soon, so the cost might work out for that too. Thanks for writing about this topic.
    Jolene Knapp

    ReplyDelete